The retail cannabis industry presents a new and exciting opportunity for hospitality industry businesses in Canada. If you’re interested in starting a retail cannabis business, you’ll need an experienced guide to support your application and ensure you fulfill every requirement. Our retail cannabis license consultants do the hard work for you, reducing the burden and confusion in this often daunting process. Currently, we work with businesses seeking a BC or Alberta retail cannabis license.
Top Cannabis Industry News
Who Can Sell Retail Cannabis in Canada?
While cannabis laws are federal, each province and territory decide how retail cannabis is sold. There are three main types of cannabis retailers in Canada: public (government run), private (you!), and online (public or private).
There is still much confusion (and often frustration) caused by provincial retail cannabis sales oversight. Some provinces have opted for a hybrid solution, allowing both public and private retail cannabis stores and online stores. To date, most provinces have opted for government-run online stores only.
View this up-to-date list of permitted cannabis retailers by province and territory.
With such a “mixed-bag” of permissible retailers, you can see why a cannabis license consultant is a necessity. Our consultants help provide clarity and get down in the muck, so you don’t have to! While we can’t guarantee cannabis license application approval, we streamline it and greatly increase your chances of success. We know the rules of each province and territory and have been providing liquor license consulting services since 2003, which makes us highly experienced with government hospitality services licensing rules and requirements.
Our Retail Cannabis License Application Services
RH Hospitality Solutions ( rebeccahardin.ca ) currently provides cannabis license consultation services for BC and Alberta. In BC and Alberta, a private retail cannabis license is currently the only type of license available. Online cannabis retail is government operated in both provinces.
BC Cannabis License Applications
For your BC cannabis license application, you’ll need to submit extensive background information about you, your partners and your operation. These are just a handful of the documents you’ll have to provide.
- Criminal record check
- Copy of an agreement to purchase, lease, or sub-let the proposed store location
- Photos of the store’s exterior
- Photos of the store’s signage
- Floor plans including all amenities such as washrooms, entrances, exits, cannabis storage, sales counter and register locations
- Locations of security cameras
- Site plan: including the store footprint, locations of other businesses, road access, parking available
- Documents of organization structure
- List of key personnel
- Financials statements and tax filings for the past 3 years
- Projected financial statements
- Notice of assessment
- Funding sources
- Documentation of debts and loans
Alberta Cannabis License Applications
Alberta, like BC, has a lengthy list of requirements and documents you must provide, including:
- Particulars of individuals (directors, shareholders or officers, manager)
- A detailed floor plan of the premises
- Site plan of neighbouring businesses
- Offer to lease
- Incorporation particulars
- Shareholding company particulars
- Certificate of incorporation
- Acquisition of cannabis products form
- Cannabis licensee acknowledgement and undertaking form
- Separation of business form
- Copy of lease agreement or certificate of title
- Approved development permit
- Municipal business license and written approval from the municipality
- Fire approval