The biggest hurdle faced by liquor retailers is liquor license application approval. If only it were as easy as submitting or mailing one form. Unfortunately, that's not the case. your liquor license approval depends on correctly fulfilling all requirements and understanding what the government looks for before giving an application the green light. RH Hospitality Solutions Inc. has seasoned hospitality industry consultants that will increase your changes of an efficient approval, whether you need liquor licensing in BC, Alberta or the USA.
Liquor License Application Process
While liquor license application requirements vary depending on which Canadian province or US state your business will operate in, and the type of liquor license for which you are applying, the fundamentals are similar. Failure to fulfil even one requirement can result in extreme delays, and in some cases, denial of your application. New businesses, as well as businesses trying to maintain their existing license in good standing, risk time and money if they get it wrong. Our liquor license consultants ensure that you have every detail covered to maximize your potential to be approved.
If you’re wondering how to get a liquor license in BC, Alberta or the USA, applications will require various items to make them complete. Depending upon the type of application, some or all of the following may be required:
- Personal information and history for the owners, officers, directors and/or partners
- Criminal records check for the owner and/or partners
- Letter of intent
- Floor plan and patron capacity
- Plan that shows locations of various amenities (bathrooms, parking, road access, other liquor retailers operating nearby)
- Corporate documents
- Food service details (if applicable)
- Patio or lounge details (if applicable)
- Financials and sources of funding
- Municipal government approval
- Public notice publication
In addition to the requirements above, owner(s), managers and employees who sell or serve alcohol are required to take responsible server training such as: the Serving it Right self-study course required for all BC liquor license applicants and the ProServe or SellSafe self-study course required for all Alberta liquor license applicants. Many licensing authorities in the USA require similar training, such as Washington State’s Mandatory Alcohol Server Training ( MAST) and California’s Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) Training, which is offered by a number of government-certified private training companies.
Types of Liquor License Applications
RH Hospitality Solutions helps businesses apply for the following types of liquor licenses:
- Private liquor store licenses
- Restaurant, bar (tavern) liquor license
- Manufacturer’s license (for distilleries, vintners, breweries and/or U-brews)
- Agent license (An agent is an official representative of a manufacturer)